Skip to main content

I can relate.

I pray that you, being rooted and firmly established in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s love, and to know the Messiah’s love that surpasses knowledge, so you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17b-19
There are times when I can so relate to certain folks in the Bible.  
As I read the adventures of success and failure, good times and bad, I sometimes wonder if they (whomever it is at the time) had any clue that many moons later their story would have an effect on a life in the 21st century.  And, is it not just like God to use His living and active Word (Hebrews 4:12) to bring relevance and hope to life today through the experiences of His people years ago?  
Personally, I think it's awesome.
Today, the pretty life is what is mostly displayed for the world to see.  All things great, comical, or otherwise happy are okay to share across social media.  Or major complaints. Those are showing up more and more these day with college football in action, baseball playoff games going on, and the government shutting down. 
A friend posted a thought provoking idea the other day.  What would have people of Bible times posted on social media?  Think of what #hashtag statements they might have used.  Or what IG photos they might have posted.  The Bible is a host of accounts that, if asked ahead of time, involved parties of the not so pretty moments would rather not have out there for the world to read.  From Adam and Eve, to David, to Lot, to Jonah, to Peter, to Paul, to many others, there are things of their pasts that have stood the test of time.  Their life stories are passed on from generation to generation.  Mixed in with the absolute best moments are the accounts of the absolute worst decisions.  Ever. 
All on display, some in great detail, in the best selling Book of all time.  
All so that those of us who come after them can learn something about God...His character...His "I AM-ness"...His forgiveness.  
All so that God will receive the glory due Him.
So, today I am challenged.  Nudged.  Prodded.  Are there adventures of the bad and ugly kind in my past that could perhaps help others through their own unmentionable moments happening today?  
(Of course, there are.)  
Am I willing to dare begin the sharing of these moments in my own life for the glory of God who has been faithful to bring me through them?  
(Like I have any other choice...)  
Therefore, as God so leads, I am open to the idea of including more accounts of the bad and ugly among the good.  Not for the sake of a good story, but always for the glory of God.

Comments

  1. Janet, thanks for sharing! I have a tendency to write about everything. Sometimes I think I share too much! However I also think God led me to start my blog, because I needed the release. I have been very thankful to have you and others to stop by and share with me and love coming to read your uplifting words. I think I'm finally back, and just wanted to let you know, that I appreciate all you share!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.